For those of you who have tried to participate in the Stop the Success thieves conversations, you know that several times, the technology thwarted the discussion. Even yesterday, I pressed the wrong button and while the discussion happened with 2 awesome people, several others were unable to participate because I was in the wrong virtual space.
Over the last month, a number of clients and colleagues keep telling me that they can’t do something because they don’t know the technology or the they are afraid of doing something wrong with the technology and that will cost them. Using technology is a stress for them and they have enough stress in their lives.
Well get over it.
We live in a world with lots of technology and regardless of your age, sex or situation, if you are reading this blog technology is a part of your life.
10 Commonest Technology Excuses
- I don’t know how
- It might break
- It doesn’t work for me
- I’m too old to learn how to do that
- It’s too complicated for me to manage
- No one will help me, so I can’t
- But what happens if I break it?
- I forgot the password.
- What happens if I do it wrong?
- It’s just too hard to do
2 Simple Ways to Overcome Technology
- Be patient with yourself. Keep breathing. Give it time. Remember when you learned to walk, ride a bicycle, drive a car. It took time. You kept trying. You got support. And you kept the vision of what you wanted to do and found the solution. You can walk. You can ride or drive. And you can use a computer, DVD player, mobile phone, camera, microwave, washing machine, television and the rest of technology.
- Find someone who will train you. Be aware thought that the local teenager while they know how to connect to their games, they may not know too much more than that. But there are courses and videos and blogs and books. Find a dummy book and if there isn’t one for your technology problem, write it as you learn to do it. Make a video as you go. You learn so much when you teach others. A great tool for making videos is Screencast-omatic
I am blessed with a ”give it a go attitude”. If I need to do something I give it a go and I work very hard to stop the failures from immobilizing me. Do you have a give it a go attitude?
And having been on computers and using microwaves, video players and other technology for over 40 years, I know where the off button is to reboot the machine if I screw it up too much.
And Yes I am trying those webinars again – The Upcoming Webinars include
Your website in 24 hours for less than $99.00 is this Friday 10 am NZ time – link to meeting is https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/938521517
On Saturday, NSANZ executive is talking through GotoMeeting with 2 leading speakers in Australia about offering virtual events in NZ
And then next Wednesday at 1 pm NZ time, another discussion on stop the success thieves will happen at https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/978742733
So please never let technology get you stuck. Never let technology steal your success.
You can overcome your fear, your terror about technology and know that help is there somewhere if you ask the tight questions.
Share in the comments some of your victories over technology or your fear. And if you need help, ASK!
To your successRoberta Budvietas, Change Agent